I don’t get it. Y’all tell us that if we want representation so badly, then do it ourselves. But when we do, you whitewash, ignore the fact that they’re actually black because you can’t stand that they don’t look like you, and hate when we tell you to shut up, stop whitewashing, and let us have this one thing that’s not about you.
Every thing I write, every novel, every short story, every joke-filled crackfic that I write on a cabin dare has at least one strong, black, female protagonist. No, I am not always writing myself. No, I do not need to learn to write a different type. I’m actually tired of reading books where the lead doesn’t look like me, or my cousins. People tell me all the time, “If y’all want representation in media, then make it yourself.”
So I do. And I just love it when I write a black, female protagonist who isn’t pregnant, drug-addicted, or any other stereotype and people assume:
- I’m writing myself.
- She’s white.
- She’s unrealistic.
And they get mad when I respond with:
- Nope. Go on somewhere with that nonsense.
- Not everyone is white, and I told you otherwise several times over the course of the story and occasionally multiple times in the chapter. You either have no mastery of reading comprehension, or no clue that ebony is a color, referring to dark brown or black, in reference to the dark wood of the ebony tree (think piano keys). You also probably have no idea what onyx is either. I’d be surprised if you were aware of the existence of anything but pearls and snow. Piss off.
- You’re sheltered and perpetuating stereotypes. Fuck yourself.
And feel the need to say:
- You’re mean.
- YOU HATE WHITE PEOPLE.
- I AM NOT. It’s just how black people USUALLY ARE you bad mean awful person.
And get reoffended when I say:
- I don’t have to be nice to you. Fuck yourself.
- Have you met my fiance? And his brother, whom I offered to allow a large, homophobic racist to come to my house and fight me over? And his parents? Yes, I clearly hate white people. Please choke.
- NOnononoshuttheFUCKup. No one asked you to tell me how black people act. I am one. We have a wide range of personalities. Eat a dick.
Eventually the conversation devolves to:
- You’re still mean. This is why no one likes black people.
- I don’t care! Your protagonist is not white and you called me an idiot and told me to choke! You hate white people! Why do you hate white people? Why are you so mad that no one wants to see you in media? It’s just how things are! You guys have black people TV that doesn’t have us in it and I don’t think that’s fair! I’m underrepresented to as a white cis female!
- You do not. You’re a really bad credit to your race, and I don’t believe you. Why do you people want representation anyway? Why do you need it? It’s not like anyone wants to see you anyway.
And by that point the only thing I feel obligated to tell you is
- Yeah yeah, no one has to be nice to your uncreative ass. Get the fuck out of my space.
- Get the fuck out of my space. Seriously. Out.
- Why are you in my space? Shoo.
So I’m gonna need white people to make up their mind, because y’all are contradictory as fuck, and y’all are predictable, and I’m tired of dealing with y’all’s predictable, contradictory asses.